Monday, November 20, 2017

To organize or not to organize

That is the question!

When I write I am very disorganized. I have things spread out all over the place. Notes and research everywhere. I hop  from one piece to another.

But I like my stuff where I can find it.

I live more in my head than in the outside world and my apartment shows it most times. I have "junk" everywhere. But since I've moved that "junk" has shrunk!

I threw away all my early attempts at writing. They were very silly and naïve. Mom only read romances but they weren't explicit and some of them were silly themselves. I threw away everything I wrote when I was a teenager except a few poems that I still had. Every time I move I lose something anyway so I decided I'll choose this time! :)

So I got one crate full of hand-written stories left besides the ones I entered into the computer. These along with the ideas that come to me should keep me busy for a long time.

I organized my reference material as well as the writing magazines I kept in a bookshelf cabinet next to my desk. When I get more material I can reorganize it, but it's adequate for now.

The crate is just stuffed with my writing ideas and chapters. No rhyme or reason. I straightened them up a bit but it's still a bit messy.

And my desk. Well, it's got stuff shoved everywhere. I need to straighten it up.

Does the state of one's surroundings impinge on one's writing?  Or can one be so absorbed in the writing that surroundings don't matter? 

To me the physical state around me doesn't matter, though sound does. I have two cds that I play when I write. If other noises come upon me I lose my concentration and train of thought.  I can have the TV on if it's a show I've already seen and I can still write, but if it's a new show I got to stop writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment